Leading Edge Metal Forming Methods for Modern Defense Industries
Built upon three decades of metal forming experience, Repkon is proud to offer high precision manufacturing alternatives through advanced in-house capabilities in strategic technologies such as flowforming, shear forming, hot spinning, forging and ex-proof presses.
REPKON at a glance
Innovative Cartridge Case Production by Repkon’s Patented Free Flowforming Technology
As Repkon, hereby we are glad to announce our newest development thanks to our patented Free Flowforming technology. Repkon technology team has achieved to produce medium range cartridge case from Ø25mm to Ø40mm steel material and large range Ø70mm to Ø 155mm from brass or steel material. With Repkon technology, part dimensional accuracy, part geometry and surface quality of the cartridge cases are excellent.
As known, today the production of cartridge cases is multistaged and expensive process. Normally it requires numerous operations such as heat treatment, surface cleaning, bonderizing, phosphating and so on. However, Repkon is now able to produce cartridge cases by eliminating all these toilsome processes by having critical advantages
- Net Shape or Near Net Shape Forming
- Improved straightness, cylindricity and roundness tolerances
- Best possible co-eccentricity on the whole part length
- Eliminating inner turning
- Minimal machining process at outside contours
- Homogeneous & uniformed grain structure properties
- Simpler and shorter mandrel structure
- High production numbers and stable production parameters with lesser raw material usage, minimized energy consumption and minimized process steps
- Material properties improves enormously (refined and directed grains in longitudinal direction) due to cold work hardening effect
- Lightweight design is possible due to improved Ultimate Tensile Strength
- Reducing material usage due to minimized machining processes and lightweight design
- Eliminating machining process Finest geometrical tolerances by net or near net shape forming
- Excellent inner surface roughness
- Minimized residual stress due to continuous and smooth forming process
- Better material hardness variation along wall thickness
Gun Barrel Production Improved Target Stability And Extended Life Cycle Repkon Patented Free Flowforming Technology
Flowforming technology is an advanced cold forming technology (continuous cold forging), which is used in Aerospace and Defence industries for more than 50 years. With the new advancements in this technology (Repkon Free Flowforming Technology) now it is possible to produce chip-less and cost-effective high precision Gun Barrels.
Although flowform technique has been used in wide range of applications in defence industries since many decades, until now it was not possible to produce rifled gun barrels due to technological forming limitations. Thanks to the patented Repkon Free Flowforming Technology which eliminates the existing limitations of the “conventional” forward flowforming and backward flowforming techniques, it is now possible to produce Rifled Gun Barrels using this technology.
Gun barrel production using Repkon Free Flowforming Technology presents a superior alternative to conventional manufacturing techniques such as Single Point or Multipoint Broach Cut Rifling, Button Rifling, Hammer Rifling and Electro Chemical Machining etc.
In addition to advantages listed below this new production technology will help your engineering team to design and develop complex barrels by minimising the manufacturing limitations;
- Superior material properties due to cold forging effect hence increase in the barrel life.
- Net Shape or near net shape forming allows unmatchable material savings.
- Increased forming tool and mandrel life due to non-impact forming.
- Possibility of manufacturing vast range of material types or rifle shapes which is not possible with any other forming technique.
- Possibility of the pre tensioning / preloading the barrel hence increase in the barrel life.
- Superior internal and external surface quality.
- Superior geometrical tolerances including the sharp riffle edges, concentricity and straightness without secondary machining operations.
- Elimination of micro cracks due to continues cold forging effect.